Monday, May 14, 2012

Appreciation and other musings

I have had a fabulous day off. One of the things I like about intense 12-hour shifts is that I tend to REALLY appreciate and enjoy my free days. Today was no exception. Today was sunny, clear, and 75 degrees. In other words, perfect weather. And I spent the day the exact way I wanted to spend it. I got a great haircut, browsed a bookstore for a few hours, found Trader Joes (thanks to Younger Brother 1!), walked the Dog, broiled steak and made a fabulous salad. Now I'm on the Internet, but I'm also reading my new book, thanks to B and N. I have had a marvelous day. I read a quote recently that said that those who sacrifice much, whether professionally, personally, physically or all of the above tend to be more appreciative of the blessings they've been given. I don't know if that is true, but I know that my job as an ER nurse, single, in her early thirties, and traveling the country courtesy a company paying me for the pleasure, has made me so thankful for my life. My life has been a gift. I see suffering and pain and can help those who hurt. I love an area of the country and can go there, thanks to my job. I'm healthy, and feel the euphoria and security in knowing my body can not only handle a tough run, but likes it. I'm loved by people who are truly remarkable, and who honor me with their love. I see a beautiful day, and am blessed enough to gasp with awe that I can experience it.  If my life isn't lucky and blessed, then what is? And what is a higher power/God/gods/Allah/ but being able to respond to other humans in a loving way and loving and appreciating the life one has been given?

No comments:

Post a Comment