Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Gratitudes

I'm grateful when someone says, "Hey, K, are you in triage today?" and I say yes, they smile and say, "Could you come now?"

I'm grateful that when I'm out with a lovely coworker who asks when I'm working next, and I name a day he is working, he smiles and pumps his fist.

I'm grateful that there is a back way from Safeway to my house, so I can avoid the traffic brought on by the upscale shopping village near my home.

I'm grateful to my grandfather, who told me, "Fat tastes good!" when I'm eating a steak, without the fat cut off.

I'm grateful I can run.

I'm grateful for my dog, who comes and sits near me when I'm sad, and bounds and jumps for joy when I'm happy.

I'm grateful that I talk to my brothers regularly, and that we matter to each other unabashedly, that our childhood made us close rather than distant as the years progress.

I'm happy to have been there the first time my brother felt his child move in his wife's belly, and to witness his joy and wonder.

I'm happy for my friends at work, from school, and from all the various places I've lived.

I'm grateful for my parents, who have given my my foundation of strength, intelligence and love.

I hear affirmations all the time, and usually find them forced, but these are mine, and I am glad I can put fingers to keyboard today to type them.

No comments:

Post a Comment