Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Election 2012

This is a short post. I was overjoyed last night when my candidate, Barack Obama, won both the popular and electoral votes for President. He is an intelligent, experienced man who brings hope to a nation that needs it and isn't a bad administrator, either. I couldn't imagine a US with Romney as President, but honestly, I don't think it would've changed much in my everyday.

 Facebook has become a huge part of most people's daily routine. What I realized last night, because of  posts of friends, was how glad I am to have both Republicans and Democrats for close friends. There was so much vilification of the OTHER party (whichever it may have been) in this election, and what was lost in the rhetoric is the realization that we all have Republican friends, or Democratic friends, or Green Party friends, or whatever. And I'm glad that the people I choose to have in my life don't think exactly like I do- it makes me a better person to know them and I value their opinions. Because the one thing my friends all have in common is that they are GOOD people. So if we differ in the way we'd handle a national budget, or abortion, or the healthcare crisis, I think that makes us stronger for knowing, respecting and listening to another voice. Single party systems are dangerous, as are orthodox positions unenlightened by a dose of difference.

 So thank you to all my friends, who posted either jubilant or heartbroken posts on Facebook. I love you all, and am grateful to have you in my life. It makes me, and this country, better.

No comments:

Post a Comment