Friday, February 21, 2014

(Yet Another) Post on Running

Last night, I was charge RN, and worked with a rockstar team of nurses, as well as an awesome attending and some great residents and a fun flow supervisor. It is wonderful when you get to be your best self at work- I knew all the patients were in smart, caring, competent hands. We communicated really well, and that allowed me to be check in on patients and staff and have time to demonstrate caring and leadership (at least, that's how I felt :). It was a great night. I slept really well today and then had a great run with the Dog.

 We went to the local dog park, which is a fenced-in area bounded on one side by a huge lake, and on the other by a restored wetlands and park. Dog, who can be moody (much like her owner), today was enjoying the brisk weather and was in a sociable mood, running and sniffing every other dog in attendance. She even played in a water a little bit, which is rare unless the water is calm. Then we left the dogpark and entered the park/wetlands. We ran off leash through a park empty of other visitors, except a few other rebellious dog owners whose dogs were also off-leash. Then I releashed Dog at the wetlands and we ran through a marvelous world full of freshwater ponds, a congress of crows, a raft of ducks, beautiful stands of red alder, cottonwood and marshes. I ran without listening to ipod music, and instead listened to the music of the world around me- twittering birds, the wind whispering through the trees and brush, the sound of Dog's jangling tags and my own footsteps. 

 It wasn't my longest run, or my best athletic effort, but it was soothing to my soul and so sweet to be healthy enough to treat my body well, when I see those who cannot so often at work.

No comments:

Post a Comment