Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Eagle

Today I went for the first run of the New Year. Predictably, there were way, way, WAY more people than normal at my favorite running spot around Greenlake in Seattle. I've heard people snarkily poo-poo the people that resolve to get out at the beginning of the year, spending time outside, or at the gym, and (this is what really eats them up) taking up what "the regulars" think of as "their" space, as though the people who are making the first effort towards health are less worthy of the gym equipment or running space or whatever than those who've been at it more consistently. I think that's crap. Everyone has to start somewhere, and the New Year is a natural time for reflection in our society. So as I veered around 5 times the amount of traffic at Greenlake, I smiled. Thank goodness everyone was outside, enjoying the beautiful day, with friends and family. Better to be making a fresh start of it, and enjoying the day, than sitting at home on the couch, not using your body. And I think that today, nature agreed with me, because for the first time since I came back to this city I love, a bald eagle was perched in the top of a pine tree at Greenlake, and there were so many people out to see his (maybe her?) magnificence. So thanks, eagle, for sharing yourself with all of us on a beautiful winter's day in Seattle.

No comments:

Post a Comment