Monday, August 5, 2013

The sweetness of friendship

Wow, my last post was in May. It has been such a busy and lovely summer!

 It has been a little difficult at work. I'm up for a promotion against someone who is so very unlike me, but qualified for the role in a different way. What makes it so hard is that everyone KNOWS we're going against each other, and it is a very public and long and drawn out interview process....closing in on two months, maybe one more to go. Huzzah for a state position, I guess!

 Anyway, I had a really come-to-Jesus interview in which I felt incredibly vulnerable and not understood, and it really shook my confidence in myself as a professional. That faith in myself and my ability has never been a question for me, and I work really hard to maintain my expertise and excellence with patients and family.

 That said, what has come out of this experience is that I have some really great friends. And to top off this professional razing of my esteem, I've moved and have been working a bunch of shifts in a row.

 Grump alert:
 Today, I was exhausted and got home from work around 4am. One of my dearest friends requested a ride to the airport at 9:30am. To you, dear reader, who may work a "normal" job, this doesn't sound unreasonable. But when you get off at 4am, 9:30am, which necessitates an 8:30am wakeup, is something more akin to a normal person's 2:30am. Needless to say, as much as I love my friend like a sister, I was NOT kindly disposed to the ride. She's saved my rear any number of times though, so I woke up and drove her to the airport. Doesn't mean I was a particularly pleasant morning person, though. ;)

 Anyway, after that, I did some errands and chores, and then my friend from work came over and saw my new, beautiful apartment, and then we went to the pool and laughed and chatted and giggled and gossiped and had meaningful talks and all the things that you do with a good friend on a warm summer's day. And it was good! And I feel rejuvenated!

 Hooray for friends!! Life continues to be good!

No comments:

Post a Comment