Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Leavin' in Honda Fit.....Don't Know When I'll Be Back Again

So I'm heading out on a Road Trip!!! At the tender (?) age of 32, I'm leaving my home on the East Coast and drive cross-country to the Pacific Northwest! As I came of age in the PNW, I'm eager to return: to hike, sit in coffee shops, laugh with friends from long ago, and (maybe?) see how I fit in the place I have always considered my heart's home. Well, actually, I consider the Chesapeake Bay my heart's home, but I think it is okay to have two places...the heart can expand in so many ways. It's temporary...at least for right now.

 So here I am, five days away from leaving, blogging on my website whose URL I haven't shared with anyone, listening to my Pandora Adele/Dave Matthews custom radio station, rather than packing. Which I REALLY need to do. But I'm REALLY enjoying procrastinating right now, so it'll get done...eventually. ;)

 These moments and this last week with friends on the East Coast is even more bittersweet knowing someone I love and respect is lying in an ICU. When people you think so highly of are experiencing incredibly painful, uncertain and challenging circumstances, it makes you aware of how lucky you are. As Kahlil Gibran argues, "The deeper sorrow carves into your being, the more joy you can contain." It is just a strange juxtaposition when experiencing both simultaneously, and in no way as deeply as her husband and children. It's a blessing to be able to see "regular life" as beautiful, which is a gift out of this tragedy.

No comments:

Post a Comment