Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Movin' On

I started in a NEW ED. This is a big deal, since I have only been a nurse two years, and before that I volunteered in the same ED in which I worked. My last day in my old ED was Saturday, and my first day at the new hospital was Monday. Let me tell you, I enjoyed my one day of unemployment!! I ran, I sat on the couch, I ate chili. It was marvelous.

So I've been in the hell known to all who start new jobs as "Orientation." This is both a blessing and a curse. A blessing because it is AWESOME (on an intellectual level) for an ED nurse to get paid to sit on my arse. For TWO WEEKS. No patient care, no responsibilities other than "active listening" (yes, you do detect some sarcasm within those quotes), and no being physically exhausted at the end of the day. Also because I have a normal-person schedule, meaning I wake up at a reasonable hour, go to work, and then come home, also at a reasonable hour. Yesterday after work, I went to a happy hour with my friend. Today I went for a run with my dog. ALL BEFORE IT WAS DARK! So exciting! This is also a curse because as an ED nurse, my natural ADD is reinforced in my everyday shifts, so to sit. In the same room. For EIGHT HOURS (okay, we got to leave for lunch). Is TORTURE. I don't know what I'd have done without my fellow nurses in orientation. We have bonded over our shared boredom and glee!
So tomorrow, I get to learn a new computer system! Yaaa..... no, wait, I'm not excited, actually. :P I do like the new hospital a lot though. It's new, and pretty, and there really does seem to be a level of pride in the employees that I haven't really seen coming from the Big Bad Hospital System of which my past hospital was a part. I think it'll be a good place for me to grow and learn and plan my next steps! So huzzah for growth and change!

No comments:

Post a Comment